Sunday, June 29, 2008

On This Day Last Year...

I met Ollie and Ruth on the Liemba on Lake Tanganyika and we got on like a house fire so we traveled down through Malawi together. Spending time with them was a fabulous break from traveling alone. We sampled the local alcohol, Shake-Shake, which was about like stomach bile in a milk carton; we rode countless miles on packed buses drinking the local gin.; and we washed our clothes in Lake Malawi. Nothing like two Brits to make the way a bit easier.

They had met years ago while traveling and found that the relationship worked best when they were on the road. They would be home for a while and start to get at one another, then one of them would say, Hey, Let's go travel again. In them, I have a very good reason to visit London.

Below: Some fabulous store fronts, hand painted with God Love.






Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Sharlet said...

Did you climb the ladder at Heaven Bound Funeral Parlor? I bet it's magic.

June 30, 2008 at 4:08 AM  
Blogger Ann Neumann said...

No climbing, I felt my closeness to God was sufficient for the middle of Malawi, but I did stand and watch them a long time. Of course I had gone to Africa anticipating to find a very strong Christian community, but I still found the prevalence of God in ordinary life, in markets, on clothes, in the approach to daily struggles to be phemonenal. God was easing pain and explaining the inexplicable.

June 30, 2008 at 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home