Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Demographic Other.




Since the election of President Obama, there has been much media and online talk about the verging demographics of the country. Tea baggers have been accounted as a particular demographic of society that is white, over 50, typically male, and anti-government.

Those who support government "entitlements" and moving in a more progressive direction tend to be younger (I'm 40), and female or minority. While this is a coarse parsing of the demos and vast exceptions hold true, I agree that the older, white population of the country tends to view our government's responsibilities vastly differently than I do.

To make it all more personal, today I found a blogger who seems to represent my demographic other.

Rick is a veteran, white, male, over 50. A Kansas resident and former veteran, he is a member of the American Legion, the Kansas Rifle Association and a pro-life voter with strong ideas about interpretation of the constitution.

He maintains two blogs, one is Ricks Blog: Pro-Life, Anti-Euthanasia, and Related, which covers social issues and sources such sites as LifeNews, a staunchly conservative, "pro-life" publication that updates subscribers on abortion, "euthanasia," conscience clause, and health care reform issues - often with such bias that facts slip away.

His other site is The Constitution of our Forefathers, dedicated to preservation of the Constitution as our founding fathers had intended, as interpreted through a "traditional" lens that includes Republican or Libertarian ideals. He often sources the conservative Heritage Foundation and chronicles gun rights throughout the country.

Most of us who are concerned about the political direction of the country, about social services, individual rights, and the US' just international participation tend to talk to, listen to and read only ourselves; it lets us affirm our belief set as we move through our own particular issues. We tend to call out social, financial and foreign policy conservatives as stupid, misinformed, or small minded. I'm as guilty as anyone of discrediting my voting adversaries.

I note Rick here because until I better understand what motivates him to speak out about issues, to cling to ideas that to me seem antiquated and backwards, and to passionately maintain two blogs, I won't be fully addressing or thinking about the issues we face together. That's engagement.

Rick is probably a great neighbor; he is likely fine company for a beer at the local. I don't suspect that he is much unlike the people I know and love from down home. He is my fellow countryman who had in the past dodged bullets so I could mouth off about women's rights and personal choice. Spending time with his blogs can't hurt - and probably helps me think about "the other voters" in this country in a more realistic way.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Ann,

I accidently came across your blog today while searching the internet for something I had previously posted.

I appreciate your thoughtful review of my blog, and highly respect any differences.

I will check in occasionally to your blog.

Blessings,

Rick
Overland Park, Ks

March 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Ann Neumann said...

I'm delighted to hear from you, Rick. I'll check out your blogs regularly too! Maybe we should exchange links some day - throw all our readers for a loop! Very best to you! And more soon I hope. Ann

March 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Well, I did it. I linked your blog under "Respectful Opposition" on the right side.

Rick

March 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Ann Neumann said...

Oh that's fantastic, Rick! I'm doing the same right now! Very best! Ann

March 16, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home